Once in awhile you find a cake that is almost too elegant to just serve to your teenagers. Almost. I had a bottle of lavender extract I had been dying to use in a chocolate cake for some time and last week just seemed like the perfect time. I used an old cake recipe I’ve used time and time again. You know, that one you turn to because it’s perfectly rich, moist and chocolaty and always comes out perfect? Instead of the vanilla bean paste I usually put in it, I chose the lavender extract this time. It gave it such a wonderful floral hint and was absolutely delicious.
I chose a basic buttercream frosting for the top, because it needed something simple and not over powering. I will tell you that this cake would be perfectly delicious WITHOUT the frosting and it’s not needed, but the lavender extract gives the frosting a little something that is just very special.
Admist the ooohs and ahhhs, the cake was gone quickly and it was voted a favorite!
Moist Dark Chocolate Lavender Cake
For the Cake;
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Lavender Extract
For the Lavender Buttercream Frosting
- Lavender Buttercream Frosting
- 1 stick butter, room temp.
- 1/2 Tablespoon Lavender Extract
- 2 cups of powdered confectioners sugar, sifted
- 2 Tablespoons of Whipping Cream
- 1-2 pinches of Wilton Violet Icing Color
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda and salt together.
- Mix well.
- In another bowl, mix together the oil, milk and lavender extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix for several minutes until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared round cake pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Use a toothpick or knife in the center to check for doneness. As soon as it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Allow to cool completely before icing.
For the Lavender Buttercream Frosting:
- Cream Butter until light and fluffy. Beat the lavender extract in until well beaten.
- Add the powdered sugar a little at a time, until well blended.
- Add the whipping cream until you get the consistency you desire. Gently stir in the icing color to get the desired shade you are looking for.