A few weeks ago I promised to share this recipe, and I totally forgot. We served it as a dessert with our Elegant Pot Roast for #SundaySupper that everyone went crazy over, and these had the safe affect. Even though I’d always wanted to, I had actually never made these before so it was a test to see how they went over. They were a huge hit with one of my daughter eating 2 pears herself. She loves fruit, and with the gently hint of wine and seasonings, the flavor was enhanced beyond what I thought was possible.
I’m just sorry I forgot to share it before now.
Cinnamon Wine Poached Pears
- 8-10 pears
- 3/4 bottle of Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- Peel the pears, keeping the stems in place.
- Combine the Sauvignon Blanc, the sugar and the cinnamon sticks in a large sauce pot.
- You can cut your pears, but we kept ours whole.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer for 5 minutes or so. Gently set the pears upright into the sauce pot.
- Add water to cover the pears to at least the stems. Bring back to a simmer.
- Once simmering, cover the pears with a a piece of parchment paper. I just cut a piece that fit the pot, poked some holes with a fork and shoved into the sauce pot. (it wasn't pretty but it did the trick!)
- Allow to simmer another 15 minutes or so.
- Test your pear for doneness by using a fork or knife to pierce. You want them to be pretty soft but you don't want them to fall apart completely.
- Gently remove from water. Serve.