Happy Birthday Carla!!!
There is something really wonderful about celebrating a birthday. However, celebrating someone special on their birthday makes that birthday celebration ten times better. Today is all about my friend Carla from Chocolate Moosey, because today is HER special day. Today is her birthday and I am so proud to be attending her virtual birthday party.
Let me take a moment to tell you guys about Carla. Carla is a fellow blogger and I met her because of #SundaySupper, but became friends with her when we had a conversation about her living and studying abroad in Ireland, a place I am quite passionate about. In that conversation I was mesmerized by the details she shared and how genuinely she wanted to answer my questions and help me with a project I was working on. Do you even remember that Carla? That was a LONG time ago.
Carla has the coolest blog, so if you’ve never visited, go now, I’ll wait. It’s worth it. Chocolate Moosey. She takes the most beautifully styled photographs and bakes (and cooks) the most creatively delicious treats. I love her blog and just visiting there always leaves me feeling inspired. Carla shares her knowledge of photography and food styling on her blog to help others in their goals to become better photographers.
Now I want to leave a message for Carla.
Carla, you are a truly, amazing girl. You have accomplished so much as a food blogger, your photography is undeniably good, and I feel like I am constantly learning from you. I have admired your tenacity for helping other bloggers become better photographers and even your articles to help others to set up functions on their blog. Recipe Index Tutorial anyone? You are a very genuine person, and you come across as down to earth, and what-you-see-is-what-you-get. Exactly my kind of friend. I cannot WAIT to give you a hug this summer and to get to spend a little time getting to know you even better.
I hope your birthday is EXTRA special today and that you won’t forget that there are a bunch of us out here who love you, appreciate you and care about you.
These cupcakes really could not get much easier. We chose a pretty easy recipe because if you’re making several dozen batches of cupcakes for a party, you probably do want a fairly simple recipe. We went with Martha Stewart’s Easy One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes and topped them with this simple Chocolate Frosting.
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for pans
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ cups buttermilk, room temperature
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2½ sticks unsalted butter, softened
- ½ c. powdered sugar
- ¾ cup baking cocoa
- pinch of table salt
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz chocolate, melted and cooled (we used milk chocolate melting chocolate from Wilton's)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use cupcake liners to line your muffin cups.
- In a large mixing bowl (I used my stand mixer). Mix together all the dry ingredients. Add all the wet ingredients and blend for about 2 minutes until smooth.
- Fill the cupcake liners ⅔ full and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. (or with a few moist cupcake crumbs, as Martha mentions).
- Allow to cool completely before adding frosting.
- In your food processor, blend the butter, sugar, cocoa and salt until smooth, scrape the bowl as needed.
- Add the corn syrup and vanilla extract and blend just until combined, about 5-10 seconds.
- Using a spatula, scrape the mixture off the sides of the bowl and then add the melted chocolate. Pulse the food processor until smooth and creamy. Took me about 15 seconds.
MOOSE CREDITS: Our moose was made with peanut butter mixed with powdered sugar for the head – we blended until we formed a pliable clay. The eyes and antlers were formed using fondant. The design was my daughter Brielle’s, from Brie’s Bites.
Please don’t forget to go visit the rest of the birthday party and see what they brought!
- Coconut Fudge Cream-Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars ~ Juanita’s Cocina
- Chocolate Mousse Cake for Chocolate Moosey ~ Chocolate, Chocolate, and More
- Chocolate Moose Cookies | Happy Birthday Chocolate Moosey ~ Cravings of a Lunatic
- Individual Funfetti Cake ~ The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Chocolate Moose Cupcakes ~ Daily Dish Recipes
- Torticas de Moron (Cuban Sugar Cookies) ~ Magnolia Days
- Funfetti Cookie Cups ~ The Messy Baker
- Happy Birthday Thumbprint Cookies ~ Family Foodie
- Lemon Poppyseed Layer Cake for a Chocolate Moosey Birthday ~ Gotta Get Baked
- Blackberry Cobbler ~ Jen’s Favorite Cookies