A fabulous weeknight meal! A Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Dish
This recipe was born of desperation one night about a year ago standing in the grocery store and wondering what to eat. I only had an hour and a half to shop, to cook for & feed the kids before we had to be somewhere. I get tired of turning to the same “quick and easy” recipe night after night when I’m pressed for time. I enjoy spaghetti or taco’s but you can only enjoy them so many times before you are screaming for something else.
I was craving Chicken Cordon Bleu that night and was determined to make it, but flattening the chicken, stuffing it, whatever – it just all took too long – it wasn’t a practical solution for a quick weeknight dinner. So I decided that I’d buy a bag of breaded chicken fingers and try stuffing them. I got all the stuff and started panicking because I wasn’t sure what to make with it. My time was quickly running out.
I finally settled on a pasta dish and between the time it took me to get from the frozen aisle back to the pasta aisle, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Wouldn’t there be some way to re-create those flavors in a pasta dish – making it a hearty meal but enjoying the flavors I was craving?
I had a plan, I put everything back, started over again shopping and got what I needed. The one problem I had immediately was that I needed a swiss cheese sauce for the pasta, but didn’t have any time to experiment or dawdle, so I just went with a jarred alfredo sauce. That was a year ago, I have since made it 20 different ways with different cheese sauces, cubed cheese, shredded cheese etc. This recipe is using the one with the jarred sauce. But if you’d like to make your own sauce like we do now, feel free and just substitute out the jar of sauce.
The Life of a Food Blogger
So – as is typical for me, every time we make something, I photograph it. Even if I don’t plan to blog it right away. Thus was the case with this particular meal – THIS meal (in the pictures) was taken about a year ago. It has sat here, waiting for the perfect day to post, and apparently I have decided today is that day.
Now, here’s the part I have figured out along the way. As I begin to try to create Skinny versions of our favorite dishes, I realized that I could shave a lot of calories off this particular meal if I made some tweaks. We have tried a newer updated version a couple of times of this dish – and it’s MUCH healthier and cuts a lot of calories off. I didn’t want to not post this recipe, because those that aren’t trying to lose some weight, won’t be affected – it’s fabulous, delicious, creamy goodness as is. However, I’m trying to watch what I eat, and work on skinnify-ing some of my meals, so to speak. So, coming soon (like as soon as next week) a Skinnier version of this meal. So good! But needed some calorie shaving to save my waist line.
We love Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta!
- 1 20oz pkg. Frozen Chicken Strips/Chicken Breasts/Chicken Fries
- 1 lb. box of pasta noodles (we chose Pipette, you can use ANY kind!)
- 1 jar of any kind of Alfredo Sauce
- 10-12 slices of deli ham, sliced into thin strips
- 1-2 Cups of Shredded Swiss Cheese
- Bake the frozen chicken you chose according to the package directions on the back.
- Boil the noodles according to the package directions for the type you chose. When cooked, drain out all the water.
- When the chicken is cooked, slice into smaller pieces.
- Add the chicken to the noodles. Pour the jar of alfredo sauce over the chicken and noodles. Stir to mix it all up. Add the ham to the mixture. Make sure you break up the pieces of ham from each other, they like to stick together.
- Add the shredded cheese, mix together.
- Serve piping hot.
Skinnier Version coming soon!
Do you love Chicken Cordon Bleu?