There is nothing that makes me sadder on Secret Recipe Club reveal day, than to learn of a member who was orphaned. It’s not right.
Seriously, how hard is it to pick a recipe and make it. See this one? I did it in less than an hour – that was the choosing, shopping and making. And guess what? It’s actually TWO recipes from the orphaned blog Cooking In Stilettos. I had her Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes bookmarked to try, so that was an easy pick. Then instead of making the syrup in the recipe, I decided to make her Blackberry Vanilla Syrup because I already had some blackberries and my husband adores Blackberries.
My 18 year old son came home in the middle of making these and ate a bunch of them himself, and decided that they were AMAZING (they are!) and when he tried some of the Blackberry Vanilla Syrup with them, he kept oohing and ahhing and decided it would be luxurious served over ice cream. Good thing we have some, and I know what he’s having for dessert this evening.
Aly, this was such a fantastic recipe, I couldn’t stop sampling while I was still cooking and my photos aren’t terrific because all I wanted to do was EAT them. haha Thank you so much! (and thanks to whoever orphaned her so I could make these amazing pancakes).
You can get the recipe for the Blackberry Vanilla Syrup here.
And now, the Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. Adapted slightly from Cooking in Stilettos. Only change I really made in my was two add the juice from a whole lemon, as well as grating a whole lemon – I had a few to use up, so this seemed like a good enough thing to use them with. Recipe is how I made. Original here. I got 12 pancakes out of the mix, but I made them pretty big. Small pancakes would probably garner about 20.
Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Blackberry Vanilla Syrup
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- juice from a whole lemon
- 2 cups of instant pancake mix
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup of fresh blueberries, plus additional for garnish
- Zest of a whole lemon
- Melted butter
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the water, vanilla and the juice of a whole lemon.
- Mix in the pancake mix and stir just until combined, but still lumpy.
- Stir in the ricotta, try to keep the batter lumpy.
- Fold in the blueberries and lemon zest and allow the mixture to sit for a few minutes.
- Heat a non stick skillet over medium heat and add some butter.
- Allow the butter to melt and swirl through the pan.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop batter into pan. (I fit three in a large pan - your results may be more or less)
- Cook the pancakes for about 3-4 minutes per side until they are golden. Remove to plate and repeat scooping batter.
- Serve with delicious Blackberry Vanilla Syrup and blueberries for garnish.