Happy National Pina Colada day, celebrated today, Friday, July 10, 2015 apparently. Who knew? Does anyone ever wonder where half these food and drink holiday’s even start or come from?
Anyway, I don’t really need an excuse to celebrate the Pina Colada, but since it is National Pina Colada day, I thought I would give you a fun and delicious smoothie to quench your thirst and cure your craving for the ultimate tropical drink.
Blueberry Basil Banana Pina Colada Smoothie
for National Pina Colada Day!
Obviously this is non-alcoholic, but I guess if you wanted to add a little rum or something else, have at it.
While this smoothie has plenty of ingredients, it isn’t difficult to make at all.
Look at all that fruity deliciousness! Omg!I freeze my herbs to use later, which makes them GREAT for adding to smoothies. Just drop a handful of frozen basil cubes and you’re ready to go. If you don’t freeze your basil, that’s ok, just add a couple of pinches of finely minced basil and a cup of regular ice cubes. Easy peasy substitution!
Oh, I also freeze bananas because frozen bananas are PERFECT for smoothies.
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 20oz can pineapple chunks WITH juice
- 2 tablespoons Nutiva – Organic Coconut Manna or fresh unsweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely minced
- 1 banana, peeled
- 1 cup of ice
- (omit ice if basil and banana are frozen)
- In a blender, puree the blueberries, coconut milk, pineapple chunks AND their juice and the coconut manna (or unsweetened coconut) until smooth.
- If you are using frozen herb ice cubes, drop in 2-4 cubes. If you are using fresh basil, drop in 2 tablespoons.
- Add 1 frozen banana (unless using fresh) and blend until smooth. (if using non-frozen banana – add 1 cup of ice and blend until smooth).
- I did not add anything else to sweeten because the banana is sweet enough, but if you need something more, add 1 tablespoon of honey and blend.
I just have to say, I love the specks of color through this smoothie. It is absolutely fantastic and a powerhouse of wonderful ingredients all combined into one! Enjoy!
Oh, and happy National Pina Colada day my friends! Cheers!