I have four daughters and one son, so it can’t come as any surprise that chocolate is almost one of our food groups in our house. With all the estrogen, we crave chocolate often.
This is just a basic dark chocolate cake recipe we’ve adapted from the Hershey’s Chocolate Cake recipe.
Basic Dark Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 2 c. sugar
- 1 3/4 c. cake flour
- 3/4 c. dark cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. milk
- 1/2 c. applesauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract (we also sometimes use rum extract or other flavors - its very mild)
- 1 c. boiling water
- Heat your oven to 350°F. I use a 13"x9" pan and greased it.
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar, cake flour, dark cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the eggs, milk, applesauce and almond extract; beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Next, stir in the boiling water. Pour the batter into your prepared pan..
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for an additional 10-20 minutes after pulling out.
- You can serve warm.
- Top with whipped cream and fresh berries or sauce.
- So yummy! A nice quick treat.