Every single month I always come across as surprised at how far we are into the year. This month it’s already October and I don’t get it. How did we get here? How is it only 2 1/2 months from Christmas? In fact, when you’re reading this, it will be 81 days left until Christmas. Say what? I feel like we just celebrated, though I am staring down Halloween. It’s definitely Fall here. We’ve had cool and chilly days, leaves are changing and I’m a very happy girl. This is my favorite time of year. And what better recipe than Banana Nut Bread?
Today is Group A’s reveal for the Secret Recipe Club. The blog I was assigned to, is Mother Would Know, written by Laura. Laura’s blog holds countless recipes and ideas for great food, including Sour Cream Muffins with Chocolate Chunks & Cherry, Lamb Meatballs and Grilled Vegetable Shish Kebabs.
I let my daughter have the final this month, and she picked this delicious Banana Bread recipe, because (and I quote) “Who doesn’t love banana bread?”. She’s right, it was an easy sell for me and with our colder weather, I’ve been craving things just like this. We loved this recipe and thought it was both simple and delicious!
Banana Nut Bread
Banana Nut Bread
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (8 tablespoons or 1 stick)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 medium bananas (about 1 cup mashed)
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup very hot water. Heat in microwave – do not use hot water from tap.
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of nuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter or oil your loaf pan
- In a small dish or pot, melt butter. Mix the sugar and butter together.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Add the eggs and mix just combined.
- Add sugar/butter mixture to bananas and eggs.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients, to the wet ingredients in 2-3 batches, alternating with small amounts of hot water.
- Add your nuts.
- Bake loaf pan for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. To test for doneness, insert knife into loaf. If it comes out clean, then banana bread is done.
- Allow to cool in pan. Slice and enjoy!