Back to School Meals for #SundaySupper – Easy Taco Bake
Let’s face it, with even one kid, Back to School time can get crazy and hectic. It is often filled with new school activities and events, parent meetings and so much more. Back to School Meals can be a real challenge when life gets this busy.
I have 5 teenagers so you can imagine how crazy and hectic my Back to School time is each year. I have one remaining kid in middle school and 4 in high school this year. Two of them are seniors and will be graduating this year, so already we are seeing how much more of a challenge that is. Our year is going to be busy.
Quick & Easy Back to School Meals are exactly what I am looking for, especially right now as we get into a routine and schedule and learn how we will manage it all this year. When Isabel asked if I could host this week, I jumped on the chance to host a Back to School Meals #SundaySupper because I knew it was exactly what I needed to get inspired. And inspired I definitely am, our team of food bloggers did not disappoint – they shared some fantastic recipes and already I can meal plan for a couple of weeks with all these great dishes.
I chose an Easy Taco Bake for this weeks #SundaySupper Back to School Meals. It was a simple choice because my kids love it and I can make extra each time I make it and freeze one. I do this a lot during the school year. I make a meal, but I double the recipe and create an extra one. It’s kind of the quick way to do a freezer cooking session which I am also very big on during the school year. One weekend a month we dedicate to preparing meals for the upcoming weeks that can be frozen and thrown in the crock pot or oven with little to no prep ahead of time. Great for those weeknight meals when the unexpected occurs and I don’t have time to think, let alone prepare something for dinner.
- 1 16 ounce bag of penne noodles, (rigatoni works well too, even spaghetti noodles - angel hair are too thin)
- 1 pound of ground turkey (or ground beef)
- 1 packet (envelope) of taco seasoning
- 1 cup of water
- 4 ounces of light cream cheese
- 1 8 ounce bag of shredded cheese (we used a Mexican Blend, but you can use whatever) - You will use 3/4 of the bag IN the pasta and the other 1/4 of the bag will be sprinkled over the dishes when you serve.
1. In a large pot, boil the noodles until they are cooked to your liking. We don't like our noodles al dente, so we don't do that, but if you'd like that, go right ahead.
2. Drain the pasta and set aside for a few minutes.
In a pan, brown the ground turkey or the ground beef, depending on your choice.
3. Once the meat is browned, sprinkle the taco seasoning over the top of the meat, and then pour the cup of water in.
4. Mix it all together in the pan and allow it to simmer for about 5 minutes.
5. Add the four ounces of cream cheese into the meat mixture and stir until it is melted.
6. Put the pasta back in the large pot and then pour the meat mixture on top. Mix together and heat over low to medium heat.
7. Sprinkle 3/4 of the shredded cheese into the Taco Bake and stir until melted.
8. Serve in bowls and divide & sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese over each bowl.
Serve immediately for a wonderfully quick weeknight dinner!
You will need to double this recipe to get two batches. Each batch serves 4-5 people.
In the first step, remove half of the noodles when they are al dente even if you like them all the way cooked - don't worry they will get a chance to cook more.
Follow steps 2-4.
Next, in a casserole dish mix together the meat mixture and the noodles. Add the entire bag of shredded cheese. and stir until melted.
Add 1/4 cup of water.
Cover the casserole dish and freeze.
When you are ready to serve it, there are two ways you can do this.
THAWED CASSEROLE: If you have thawed the casserole, keep covered and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. Uncover and stir the pasta. Return it to the oven uncovered for about 5-10 minutes more.
FROZEN CASSEROLE: If the casserole is frozen, pop it in the oven covered for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, uncover and stir. Return to oven for another 15-20 minutes watching closely so it doesn't burn. I usually stir it every 5 minutes or so, so the noodles don't get all hard and crunchy.
Have you ever made Easy Taco Bake? Tell me about it in the comments below!
You are not going to believe the quick and easy Back to School Meals that the #SundaySupper team has put together for you this week. Just look at what they’ve made!
- Greek Dogs byÂ Supper For a Steal
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad byÂ Magnolia Days
- Double Duty Fajita Chicken: Nachos Supreme and Enchiladas byÂ Doggie at the Dinner TableÂ
- Zucchini, Corn and Bacon Crepes byÂ Â Vintage Kitchen
- Oregon Shrimp Quesadillas byÂ Pescetarian JournalÂ
- Korean omelet rice byÂ Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Dillled Salmon Croquette Burgers byÂ Grannyâ€™s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Gluten Free Pepper Steak with Rice by Â No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Crispy Ravioli in Cherry Tomato Sauce byÂ Shockingly Delicious
- BLT Soup byÂ Meal Planning Magic
- Korean Pan-Fried Fish byÂ Kimchi Mom
- Stove top mac â€˜n cheese byÂ Gotta Get Baked
- Deconstructed Enchiladas byÂ In the Kitchen with KP
- Croque Monsieurs Â byÂ Juanitaâ€™s Cocina
- Summer Squash and Mushroom Quesadillas byÂ Chocolate Moosey
- Seared Lamb on a bed of Mashed potatoes with Artichoke Hearts byÂ Cooking UnderwriterÂ
- Pasta with creamy kale pestoÂ byÂ WebicureanÂ
- Baked Spanish Tortilla byÂ Happy Baking Days
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Pizza byÂ In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Garlicky Pasta with Swiss Chard and BeansÂ byÂ The Lemon Bowl
- Tomato Pie byÂ My Catholic Kitchen
- Shredded Chicken in Peanut Sauce Tacos w/ Corn & Zucchini SautÃ© byÂ GirliChef
- Tomatillo Chicken Stew byÂ Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Pollo a la Crema byÂ La Cocina de Leslie
- Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos byÂ Home Cooking Memories
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken with a Yogurt Dill sauce and a Greek Salad byÂ Noshing with the Nolands
- Wagon Wheel Pasta with Pancetta & Peas byÂ Chelseaâ€™s Culinary Indulgence
- Lemon & Dill Shrimp Pasta w/ Oven Roast Corn byÂ Mama, Mommy, Mom
- Ricotta â€“ Tofu Tomato Toasts byÂ Yummy Smells
- One Pot Spicy Asian Chicken and Rice byÂ Hezzi D
- Turkey Italian Brown Rice Casserole byÂ Mommaâ€™s Meals
- Flatbread Pizza with Cilantro Garlic Sauce byÂ Momâ€™s Test Kitchen
- Cashew Chicken Stir-fry byÂ Diabetic Foodie
- Chicken Bacon Avocado Quesadillas byÂ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Roasted Butternut Lo Mein byÂ
- Potluck Casserole with Cornbread Stuffing byÂ Cindyâ€™s Recipes & Writings
- Jerk Chicken Chili byÂ Mrs. Mama Hen
- Loaded Chicken and Steak Stuffed Potatoes byÂ Big Bears Wife
- Steamed Tofu Serve with Fried Mix Vegetables byÂ My Trials in the Kitchen
- Pasta with sausage and cherry tomatoes byÂ Toraâ€™s Real Food
- Chicken Ravioli with Peas and Bacon byÂ Daddy Knows Less
- Quick N Easy Thai Coconut Shrimp Stir Fry byÂ Sueâ€™s Nutrition Buzz
- Whole Wheat Pizza with Hummus & Fresh Greens byÂ Family Spice
- Speedy â€˜n Spicy Shrimp Pasta byÂ The Weekend Gourmet
- End of Summer Grilled Peach and Chicken Salad byÂ Sustainable Dad
- Teriyaki Tuna Bowl byÂ Family Foodie
- Weeknight Stir Fry byÂ From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Baked Egg with Mushrooms and Bacon byÂ Pippiâ€™s in the Kitchen Again
- Taco Bake byÂ Daily Dish Recipes
- Fried Rice and Black Beans byÂ Mamaâ€™s Blissful Bites
- Chicken with Broccoli, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Bow Ties byÂ That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pasta in Tomato sauce and turkey meatballs byÂ Basic & Delicious
- Pasta Primavera byÂ Midlife Road Trip
- Tots Your Tots Will Love byÂ The Hand that Rocks the Ladle
Can you believe that line up of recipes? What a fabulous list of meals we have and like I said, I can meal plan for weeks!
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day today. Weâ€™ll also be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST tonight for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where weâ€™ll talk more in depth about Back to School Meals and ways to make meal time easier with tips & tricks to help you out! If you’re a busy parent, you don’t want to miss this!
All you have to do is follow theÂ #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us throughÂ TweetChat! Weâ€™ll be sharing great recipes and tips all afternoon, and weâ€™ll be talking all things Back to School Meals during our live chat!
Weâ€™d also love to feature your Back to School Recipes on ourÂ #SundaySupper Pinterest boardÂ and share them with all of our followers!