This particular This Week’s Cravings gave me fits – this is truly the first time I’ve ever had to essentially give up and go beyond the theme a little. It is really not easy to come up with a 5 ingredient meal despite what people say. A 5 ingredient RECIPE is a whole other thing, I can totally do that. This week, we focused on 5 ingredient meals. I realized after a bit that I was going to have to call this one an epic fail for me. I feed 7 people everyday, three meals a day and to get a good, complete balanced meal, that has FLAVOR, just seems next to impossible for us using only 5 ingredients. I am not saying it is impossible, just saying for us. We tried recipes for soups and we weren’t full, we found recipes for casseroles and while we were full, it didn’t seem balanced.
Sure I could tell you that we did make tilapia fillets with garlic and green beans, a salad and rolls on the side. I’d also have to admit that we added herbs and spices to the salmon, and being practical – were we eating just green lettuce? Of course not, there were other ingredients in there too. I put olive oil and sea salt on my green beans, those are more ingredients. So I really found it difficult to stick to the 5 ingredient meal and not lose flavor and still maintain a balanced, delicious meal.
So instead, I’m going to give you a 5 ingredient recipe that I came across at BHG quite awhile ago and then later, at Simply Creative Insanity. I will admit, she was the force that got me to try them – hers were just so cute!
5 Ingredient Meals – Mini Burgers and Fries
- 16 frozen waffle-cut potatoes fries
- 1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
- seasoning for burgers
- 4 slices cheddar cheese, cut into quarters
- 4 cherry tomatoes, sliced or 4 pickle slices
- Condiments to enjoy with it: Ketchup, Mustard, Mayonnaise, Sour Cream, Ranch Dressing, etc.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a pan with cooking spray or you can use tin foil and line the pan. Place the Waffle Fries on the pan, not touching each other and spaced out nicely.
- Bake the fries for about 18-20 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine your seasoning and hamburger meat (we actually used the packets of onion soup mix... so good!) Form the meat into 16 mini patties.
- In a large skillet cook the burgers on the stove, uncovered, over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. I cannot verify this, because we used our griddle to cook our burgers.
- Be sure and turn them once halfway through cooking. Drain the fat.
- Now, top each waffle fry with a burger, then some cheese, and then a tomato slice. (we also topped half with pickles!) Broil in your oven about 4 to 5 inches from heat for about 1 to 2 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the tomato browns (we did not brown the tomatoes).
- Serve with condiments. Makes 16 snacks.
- 3/12/2012 Week # 72 St. Patrick’s Day – GO GREEN
- 3/19/2012 Week # 73 CHOCOLATE – CHOCOLATE & MORE CHOCOLATE
- 3/26/2012 Week # 74 Freezer Meals (fix them and freeze for later)
- 4/2/2012 Week # 75 Easter Cookies & Treats
- 4/9/2012 Week # 76 Show us your ULTIMATE SANDWICH
Would you like to link up a 5 Ingredient Meal or recipe? Go ahead! We’d love to see what you made.
If you are a regular link-up we’re excited to see what you made this week. If you are new please read and follow the, so that everyone can enjoy the linky party and your recipe doesn’t get deleted!
If you forget to follow the theme, your post will be deleted. Please don’t feel hurt, just come back and link up a recipe that follows the theme. Thanks a million, we look forward to blogging with you!
The LINKY PARTY is opened ALL Week!
PLEASE do not link more then 3 recipes per week.
This week’s theme is: 5 Ingredient Meals (or recipes)
Please only link recipes with our theme!